Priority will be given to municipalities whose planning activities are:
- required by an executed DEC Order on Consent; or
- required by a DEC draft or final State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES) permit (e.g. nutrient removal, inflow and infiltration, disinfection); or
- for upgrading or replacing an existing wastewater system; or
- for constructing a wastewater treatment and/or collection system for an area with failing onsite septic systems; or
- addressing a pollutant of concern in a watershed implementation plan (see Definitions section).
Applications are scored out of 100 points and selected based on criteria on the scoring rubric. A maximum of 80 points will be determined by EFC and DEC, and an additional 20 points will be determined by your Regional Economic Development Council.
Applications will receive a final score and be ranked from highest to lowest score. Applications with the higher scores will be chosen for grants.
In case of a tie, EFC and DEC will look at individual scoring categories in the following order to determine a grant award:
- Performance Measures
- Agency priorities
EFC and DEC will consider regional distribution in the determination of awards, to the extent practicable.
Engineering Planning Grant Scoring Rubric
Projects Affecting Water Quality in Environmental Justice (EJ) Areas
New York State demonstrates a commitment to Environmental Justice (EJ) and remedies for communities that may be burdened by negative environmental consequences. Environmental justice is defined by the State as the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people, regardless of race, color or income, with respect to the development, implementation and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations and policies.
A report for a proposed project that positively impacts water quality in an EJ community or will positively impact drinking water quality serving an EJ community will receive points in the evaluation of an application where indicated.
To qualify for EJ points, your application must include details demonstrating water quality improvement to an EJ area or to drinking water serving an EJ community - where the benefit will be provided or the area served by the drinking water source.