Apply for the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund

Step 1: List Your Project

Before you can apply for financing through the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF), you must first list your project on the state Department of Health's Intended Use Plan (IUP). Project listings are screened for eligibility, scored, ranked, and listed, and a new IUP is issued annually. 

What's Required

Drinking Water projects are listed by completing the project listing form on the state Department of Health's website (DOH). The required information includes contact information, a general description of the project’s scope, a budget, and a project schedule. Projects are then screened for eligibility, scored, ranked, and listed. 

You must submit an approvable engineering report and Smart Growth Assessment Form with the project listing or have one on file with DOH in order to be on the Annual List and apply for financing during the IUP period. You must submit an approvable engineering report and a Smart Growth Assessment Form so that the project can be included on the Annual List. Projects without these documents will be on the Multi-Year list only. 

You should upload any available documents, such as engineering reports, consent orders, or project descriptions, through PLUS in order to receive the most accurate project score and ranking.


DOH accepts new project listings on a continuous basis. New projects for Lead Service Line Replacement and Emerging Contaminants funding under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law must be submitted by Aug. 31, 2022 to be listed in the 2023 draft IUP. The deadline for base DWSRF or BIL general supplemental funding was June 17, 2022 for inclusion in the 2023 draft IUP. 


The project listing form, hardship policy, Intended Use Plan and engineering report outline for drinking water projects are available on the Department of Health website.

Step 2: Secure Required Documents

Financial Application Guidance

Actions required to process an application

Before you get started with your financing application, please note there are a number of actions/processes that you must complete to generate the documentation you need to complete your application.

  • Municipal bond resolutions
  • Environmental review documents and findings
  • District formation/increase authorization, and
  • Agreement for engineering planning services
  • Form a special district (generally only counties or towns)
  • Contact to SHPO for a determination on potential project impacts
  • Pass a bond resolution
  • Hire a consulting engineer if you do not have a design engineer on staff
Documents that may be necessary to close financing and/or get your money

Documents include, but may not be limited to: 

  • Financial statements (audited if available) for the three most recent fiscal years (for applicants other than counties, cities, towns and villages)
  • Letters for grant awards or financing that is not from/through EFC
  • Current adopted capital and operating budgets

Learn more about the required documents

Step 3: Apply for Financing

If your project is included on the Annual List in the Department of Health's Intended Use Plan (IUP), you may proceed with submitting a financing application. Applications for interest-free and subsidized financing are accepted on a continuous basis until March 1, 2022 for the current IUP. Applications received after the deadline may be postponed to the next IUP year. 

Plan on submitting your financing application as soon as possible to meet your needs for timely access to funds. This will give EFC adequate time to process your application, request clarification, prepare closing documents, and ensure you are able to receive disbursements when you need them.

Download the Application Form & Guidance

Note: Templates are not available for all required application materials. Please be sure to review each step of the application process to ensure you are submitting all of the required materials. 

Ask a Question

Do you have a question or need help completing your application to one of EFC’s funding programs or services? Fill out our question form and we'll get back to you.

Contact DOH Bureau of Water Supply Protection ​​​​

Chief, Design Section
Bureau of Water Supply Protection ​​​​
NYS Department of Health

Contact us by phone:

Contact us by email: